Eight-Thirteen Ball, benefitting the Friends of the Arlington Pubic Library and the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Initiative!
Saturday, September 28, 2013 – 8:00 to 11:00 pm @ The Artisphere – 1101 Wilson Blvd, Arlington VA 22209.
Enjoy a night out to celebrate literature and support literacy in our community!
The Eight-Thirteen Ball was named for the Dewey Decimal Classification for American Fiction. This year’s theme is based on F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, and prizes will be awarded for the best 1920’s-style attire.
Studies have shown that early exposure to books is an indicator for later academic success. The Eight-Thirteen Ball was created to raise money for the Arlington Public Library’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program, a new early literacy initiative designed to encourage families, teachers, childcare providers, and librarians to read with children from birth and beyond. Ticket and silent auction proceeds, as well as individual donations will directly support 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten.
Highlights of the evening will include:
- 1920s music performed by the Hot Society Orchestra of Washington
- Dance instructors from Fidgety Feet – D.C.’s premier Lindy Hop dance troupe – will demonstrate 1920s dances
- Canapes reminiscent of the time
- Silent auction to benefit 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, a new early literacy initiative designed to encourage families, teachers, childcare providers, and librarians to read with children from birth and beyond.
- Prizes awarded for the best 1920s-style attire
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks available for purchase with credit or debit card
Support 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!